Holiday season is a great time to relax and take a break from the frenzied activities that are part and parcel of the modern world. However, remember to schedule in some physical activity during the holidays as becoming totally inactive could be detrimental to your health and wellbeing.
Here are 10 advantages to staying active this holiday season:
- Protection against Illness: If there was a single magical cure against falling ill, regular physical exercise would be it. An active lifestyle protects against many chronic diseases such as blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and stroke.
- Improved Metabolism: Staying active raises your metabolic rate, which helps you burn more calories. This allows the occasional indulgence in holiday treats without having to worry about putting on weight.
- Reduced Stress: Engaging in a challenging physical activity such as rock climbing, dancing, or learning a new sport can help take your mind off things that cause holiday stress such as a last-minute change in your plans or setting unrealistic expectations of yourself and others.
- Better Heart Health: Your heart is arguably the most important muscle of your body. Staying active especially during the holiday season helps heart function by lowering blood pressure, increasing “good” cholesterol (HDL), reducing “bad” cholesterol (LDL), and improving blood circulation.
- Improved Mental Alertness: Staying active has a positive effect on your brain cells boosting memory, alertness, and your ability to learn new things.
- Promotes Bowel Movement: Eating sweets and holiday comfort foods combined with an inactive lifestyle can wreak havoc on your digestive system and cause constipation. Taking part in fun holiday activities, adding fiber-rich foods to your diet, and drinking plenty of water will help get your bowels moving again.
- Strengthens Bones and Joints: Engaging in weightbearing activity helps reduce loss of bone minerals that are a normal part of the aging process. The more fit you are, the better you feel and the more you can enjoy the holiday season
- Helps You Look Good: Most people tend to put on a few pounds during the holiday season. Regular physical activity will help keep your waistline in check and give your skin a healthy glow.
- Better Mood: Dealing with a bad mood, whether it’s yours or someone else’s, can quickly ruin your holiday season. When you engage in physical activity, your body releases endorphins which are often called feel-good hormones that significantly improve your mood.
- Improved Sleep Quality: Research studies have demonstrated that engaging in physical activity every day improves the duration and quality of sleep. Imagine waking up feeling fully refreshed and energetic, so you get the most out of your holiday time!
NewportCare Medical Group is a comprehensive specialty group located in Newport Beach, California. For all appointments and inquiries, please call (949) 491-9991