Many studies have examined the types of work-related injuries that tend to happen in various professions and how frequently they occur. Industries involving heavy machinery often are susceptible to muscle strains and tears. Office workers are susceptible to carpal tunnel syndrome and lower back issues, and factory employees endure lung and muscular issues. If you have been injured on the job, it is crucial to see a physician sooner rather than later so that a document of the injury that occurred on site is properly documented. Without proper documentation, you may have trouble getting the workers' compensation that you will need and deserve
Let's take a look at the top 10 most common injuries to occur on the job:
- Stress Fractures- When the muscles and bones are impacted repetitively, like with on the job heavy lifting, they can cause a stress fracture.
- Wrist Fracture - Falls and slips are commonly the culprit of a wrist fracture
- Shoulder Dislocation- Accidents on the job often can result in a shoulder dislocation or a labrum tear. They are painful, and once you have experienced a tear, it is common for it to occur again.
- Ankle and Foot Sprains- A common work injury occurring when the foot or ankle is quickly twisted or turned, stretching or tearing the fibrous tissue supporting the foot and ankle.
- Meniscus Tear - A meniscus tear is among the most common of knee injuries. Knee pain, swelling, stiffness, and difficulty extending the knee are signs you may have torn your meniscus.
- Carpal Tunnel - A common desk job injury resulting in a pinched nerve in the wrist. Symptoms include recurring numbness, tingling, weakness, or pain in your fingers.
- Plantar Fasciitis - Repetitive stressing of the plantar fascia, which is the ligament that connects the heel bone to the toes and supports the foot arch, often occurs for those on their feet for work
- Rotator Cuff Injuries - A rotator cuff tear typically occurs in people who repeatedly perform the same shoulder motions, such as heavy lifting. Signs of rotator cuff injuries include pain and stiffness
- ACL Tears - The ACL provides stability and keeps bones in place. ACL tears are common injuries when work activities include quick stops and starts or turns.
- Tennis Elbow - When the tendons around the elbow get irritated and inflamed, causing pain. Tennis elbow is often caused by overuse of the muscles in the arm, forearm, and hand.
The top three leading causes of work-related injuries are overexertion slips, trips, falls, and contact with objects and equipment, accounting for 84% of nonfatal work injuries. The most important way, and also the easiest way, to protect your legal rights is to report your injury to your employer and seek a medical evaluation.
NewportCare Medical Group is a comprehensive specialty group located in Newport Beach, California specializing in advanced non-surgical and surgical treatments for a wide range of orthopedic conditions.