Cannabidiol (CBD) is a compound found in the cannabis plant that has many potential therapeutic uses. It is NOT psychoactive and does not cause a mind-altering “high” unlike delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is also a compound found in the cannabis plant.
CBD used for medical purposes is obtained from the least processed form of the cannabis plant known as hemp. On the other hand, THC is obtained from a selectively bred form of the cannabis plant famously known as marijuana. Even though hemp and marijuana are cannabis plants, they are very different in terms of cultivation and use.
The potential medical benefits of CBD include:
- Treatment of epilepsy & mental health disorders: CBD produces neurological effects that may help treat epilepsy, neuronal injury, neurodegeneration, and psychiatric diseases such as schizophrenia.
- Natural anti-inflammatory and pain relief properties: Research studies indicate that because CBD has a non-psychoactive action, it offers a more natural way to lower and treat chronic pain.
- Smoking cessation and treatment of withdrawal symptoms: Pilot studies have shown promising results in the use of CBD in helping smokers control their craving for nicotine. Many of the withdrawal symptoms experienced by drug users such as moodiness, insomnia, and pain might be reduced by CBD.
- Cancer treatment: CBD may help suppress growth and spread of cancer cells according to the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.
- Treatment of anxiety disorders: CBD may help improve anxiety symptoms in conditions such as posttraumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Type 1 diabetes treatment: The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD may be used in treatment of type 1 diabetes in which the body’s own immune system attacks the pancreas and causes inflammation.
- Acne treatment: CBD lowers the production of sebum which is responsible for the formation of acne and could be potentially used in the treatment of acne vulgaris.
- Alzheimer’s Disease Treatment: According to the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, CBD has been able to prevent social recognition deficit in some Alzheimer patients and may be used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease.
If you think you might benefit from the use of CBD for your condition, talk to your doctor or visit us at Newport Care Medical Group for a consultation.