Arthritis is a term used to describe a group of diseases characterized by stiffness, pain, and swelling of the joints. Those suffering from this chronic joint condition know how devastating the impact of arthritis can be.
March is National Nutrition Month. Gain the upper hand in the fight against arthritis with these 10 superfoods:
- Fatty fish: Salmon, sardines, mackerel, and trout are examples of fatty fish which are high in omega-3 fatty acids that have potent anti-inflammatory effects. They relieve symptoms of pain and swelling in the joint caused by arthritis.
- Garlic: Research studies have shown that regular intake of garlic may reduce the risk of osteoarthritis. Garlic may also boost your immune system and help fight against autoimmune-related arthritis.
- Broccoli: Regular intake of cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli has been associated with decreased levels of inflammatory markers (substances that indicate the presence of inflammation in the body) and may protect against rheumatoid arthritis.
- Walnuts: A nutrient-rich food that contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids which may lower symptoms of pain caused by arthritis.
- Berries: Most berries are loaded with antioxidants in addition to vitamins and minerals that can potentially decrease arthritis-related inflammation.
- Spinach: This green vegetable has high levels of kaempferol, an antioxidant which is known to reduce the inflammatory effects of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Ginger: In a study conducted on 261 patients with knee osteoarthritis, regular intake of ginger for 6 weeks resulted in reduced knee pain in 63% of the participants, suggesting that ginger may relieve painful arthritic symptoms.
- Grapes: They are nutrient-dense foods that possess anti-inflammatory properties and are high in antioxidants. Consumption of grapes has been associated with reduced anti-inflammatory markers in the blood.
- Olive oil: Olive oil may be able to slow down cartilage destruction and reduce inflammation. Research studies also suggest that olive oil may prevent the development of rheumatoid arthritis or reduce its symptoms.
- Beans: Kidney beans, pinto beans, and red beans are packed with fiber and nutrients that reduce C-reactive protein, a common inflammatory marker in the blood. They are great for relieving symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
Although there is no diet that can completely cure arthritis, adding these superfoods to your diet will help strengthen your joints and contribute to improving quality of life.
NewportCare Medical Group is a comprehensive specialty group located in Newport Beach, California dedicated to the diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, and prevention of injuries and disease of your body’s musculoskeletal system. Call us today for an appointment.